Cantab Research Limited (trading as “Speechmatics”) is a company incorporated in England and Wales (Company Number: 05697423) with its registered address at Unit C, Brookmount Court, Kirkwood Road, Cambridge, CB4 2QH. Speechmatics is represented by Dr Anthony John Robinson (CTO) and Benedikt von Thuengen (CEO).
Speechmatics is a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (“DPA”) in respect of the data it gathers from you and other users of our Website and/or Services.
Speechmatics is registered under the DPA, registration number ZA137980.
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
In running and maintaining our Website and/or the Services we may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information about your use of the Website and/or the Services including details of your visits such as pages viewed and the resources that you access. Such information includes traffic data, location data and other communication data.
- Information provided voluntarily by you. For example, when you register for information, make a job application, or make a purchase (such as billing information).
- Information that you provide when you register your account, namely, your email address and password.
- Information that you provide when you communicate with us by any means.
- Technical information about your handset, device, system and application software when you use the Services and/ or Website to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to you.
- Your email address that you provide on the “Contact Us” section and when you register for an account.
Speechmatics will only share the above information with third parties in the manner that is described in this Statement. Speechmatics will not sell any of the above information to third parties.
USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We use the information that we collect from you to provide our Website and Services to you and manage our relationship with you. In addition to this, we may use the information for one or more of the following purposes:
- to provide information to you, that you request from us, relating to our products or Services and to provide information to you relating to other products that may be of interest to you. Such information will only be provided where you have consented to receive such information. You may opt out of these communications at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in them, or changing the relevant setting in your account.
- to process payments for Services you request via our Website, as further described below.
- to inform you of any changes to our Website, Services or goods and products and other service-related announcements. Please note that you cannot opt-out of such communications.
- to improve and develop products, Services and support including through research and data analysis activities.
- to measure performance of marketing initiatives.
- to facilitate account creation and the log-in process.
- to provide you with access to protected areas of our Website.
- to assess and improve the performance and operation of our Website.
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you.
Registration data and usage statistics will be retained by Speechmatics, where such data does not contain any information pertaining to the identity of recording participants or what was spoken in the recording.
All Services that include transcription are provided without human intervention, unless specified in the contract between Speechmatics and the user. If human-edited transcription is included in the contract, human beings will have access temporarily to your file for the duration required to improve transcription quality. In either case, Speechmatics representatives may only access your data with your express permission in order to provide service and support. Once data is deleted, there is no way to recover it. Speechmatics may keep an anonymised copy of your data for the purpose of making system improvements. In such a case, any processing will be fully automatic, without human intervention.
In operating our Services it may become necessary for data that we collect from you, data you upload to the Website, or provide to us via the System API, to be transferred to locations outside of the European Union for processing and storing. By providing your data to us, you agree to this transfer, storing and processing. We take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is stored securely.
Suppliers and service providers are required by contract to keep confidential and secure the information received on behalf of Speechmatics and may not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for Speechmatics.
Unfortunately, the sending of information via the internet is not totally secure and on occasion such information can be intercepted. We cannot guarantee the security of data that you choose to send us electronically, sending such information is entirely at your own risk.
Upon request, or after the duration of eight (8) days, all uploaded audio/video files, will be deleted from Speechmatics’ server after the automatic processing has finished.
DISCLOSING YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your information to our service providers. We use service providers who help us to provide you with the Website or Services. We give relevant persons working for some of these providers access to your personal data, but only to the extent necessary for them to perform their services for us. We also implement reasonable contractual and technical protections to ensure the confidentiality of your personal information and data is maintained, used only for the provision of their services to us, and handled in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Examples of service providers include payment processors, hosting services, email service providers, and web traffic analytics tools.
If the email address under which you have registered your account belongs to, or is controlled by, an organisation, we may disclose that email address to that organisation in order to help it understand who, associated with that organisation, uses our Services.
We will not disclose your personal information to any other person or entity other than in accordance with this Privacy Statement and in the circumstances detailed below:
- in the event that we sell any part of, or all of, our business to a buyer, or undertake a corporate reorganisation (including a merger or consolidation) or any other action or transfer between Speechmatics entities. You expressly consent to Speechmatics transferring your personal data to the new owner or successor entity so that we can continue providing the Website and/or Services to you. If required, Speechmatics will notify the applicable data protection agency in each jurisdiction of such a transfer in accordance with the notification procedures under applicable data protection laws.
- where we are legally required by law to disclose your personal information.
- to further fraud protection and reduce the risk of fraud.
- to prevent security threats or other malicious activity.
- to enforce/protect the rights and properties of Speechmatics, its employees and its associated companies.
KEEPING YOUR INFORMATION SECURE
Speechmatics takes seriously the trust you place in us. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, Speechmatics utilises reasonable and appropriate physical, technical, and administrative procedures to safeguard the information you send us. Speechmatics retains data only as required or permitted by local law and while it has a legitimate business purpose.
We may gather information about your general internet use by using the cookie. Where used, these cookies are downloaded to your computer and stored on the computer’s hard drive. Such information will not identify you personally; it is statistical data which does not identify any personal details whatsoever.
You can adjust the settings on your computer to decline any cookies if you wish. This can be done within the “settings” section of your computer. For more information please read the advice at AboutCookies.org.
Subscription communications include email newsletters, software updates, etc. that may be expressly requested by you or which you consented to receive. After you request such communications, you may opt out of receiving them by using one of the following methods:
- select the email “opt out” or “unsubscribe” link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each email subscription communication.
- return to the Web page(s) where you originally registered your preferences and follow the opt-out instructions.
- Contact us. Be sure to provide your name, relevant contact information, and specific relevant information about the Speechmatics subscriptions that you no longer wish to receive.
YOUR CONTROL OVER THE USE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- update your registration and other account information on your account page.
- cancel your account. To cancel and delete your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to any such request, and any appropriate request to access, correct, update or delete your personal information, within the time period specified by law (if applicable) or without excessive delay. We will promptly fulfil requests to fully delete personal data unless the request is not technically feasible or such data is required to be retained by law (in which case we will block access to such data, if required by law).
THIRD PARTY LINKS
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
In accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to access any information that we hold relating to you. Please note that we reserve the right to charge a fee of £10 to cover costs incurred by us in providing you with the information.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT
Any changes we may make to our Privacy Statement in the future will be posted on our Website and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Privacy Statement.